Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Spring Break and Beyond

I'm still trying to find my voice here, but I'll try to post things of interest.

The kids had Spring break this weekend. Friday was cold and yucky, but I borrowed my friend's steam cleaner, and Jacqui and I cleaned her bathroom, the upstairs bathroom, floors, the fridge (a little), etc. (Mark helped too on Thursday.) I fell in love with the steamer. It cleans so easily and feels so much cleaner than with other things. The steam had a real relaxing effect I guess, like being in a sauna, so I had to take a short nap before going back to it in the afternoon.

I'd promised the kids we'd go to Idaho Falls on Saturday, so we got ready and headed out during the last 1/2 hour of morning conference and listened on the radio. We arrived at the mall just after the session ended, dropped off the big kids and headed to Don Aslett's Cleaning Center for my own personal steam cleaner ($109 + tax). I'm really excited to have it, but it's tempered with the thought that that will be my 40th birthday gift. The kids had fun; we bought some Easter clothes, shopped at Sam's Club, and headed back home a little later than we'd planned, but still got to listen to most of the afternoon session of conference.

Sunday was beautiful. Robert got sunburned because he pulled our old couch off the patio onto the lawn and listened to conference on the radio. We barbecued and had steak and baked potatoes on the patio after the second session, then we played a game of ultimate frisbee. Good days. We hope the weather continues this week so that Robert's birthday will be nice.

Monday, Robert had to work, but got in a game of golf in the late afternoon--more sunburn. He says that he just has to see if the sun still works after our long Rexburg winters. Greg got out golfing in the afternoon. He went with some of his soccer friends. The other kids played with friends, or hung out around the house. Jacqui finished crocheting around a burp cloth that she started about 4 years ago (she actually undid everything and started again on Sunday morning, so she's quite pleased with herself that she completed it during her break).

Everybody got up and went to school this morning. We're back to the same routine, but the break was a blessing. We need to recharge those batteries.

Jacqui's officially passed on her Student Body Officer responsibilities, so she's relieved. She just has to finish up her college and AP classes, pass the AP test, and perform her last dance recital in the next month. She's feeling the burden and the excitement of the stage of life.

Corinne and Greg are playing spring soccer. Corinne's first game was a surprise 7-4 win. In the Spring season, the girls often struggle, but we're hopeful now. Greg's team plays the first game this week. They're a strong team, but have yet to prove themselves this season. Wish them luck.

Claire and Mark work together to drive us crazy. Pray for lots of sunshine this Spring so they can get outside a lot. They enjoy each other a lot, but are together so often, they end up fighting. On our trip to Utah, we were all ready to throw them out and leave them by the side of the road, but we're pretty glad we kept them.

Claire's preparing to play in her first piano festival. She's been taking lessons for about 10 months now. She's doing pretty well and likes it most of the time.

So that's Spring break and beyond, but I'll have to post some pictures soon. I don't have any recent ones to show, but keep checking.

No comments:

Post a Comment